We’re hiring a Designer to be responsible for the look and feel of Nendo and our clients’ visual brand identities. You will work alongside our Art Director and a multi-disciplinary team to create, manage and improve visual content to capture our audience’s attention.
As the ideal candidate for this role, you’ll have a strong portfolio that demonstrates your creative strengths and past experience. Your work and experience speaks to your ability to adapt your design to suit an audience and their channels.
Digital comes first for Nendo. That means you’ll be capable of learning new workflows and export formats and teaching yourself, whenever required.
As our designer:
- A Fast Learner: Quick to learn new skills and techniques through practice, experiments and the spirit of being self-taught. That could be taking tutorials, classes, creating experiments or through apprenticeship.
- Curious: Always reading, asking questions and learning new tips and tricks that take your thinking and your clients to new places. A spirit of taking initiative in different situations is highly valuable.
- Creative: Ability to conceptualise and execute great ideas individually and alongside a team. You think to sketch before you take to the creative suite. You can prototype and quickly build out ideas prior to polishing and exporting the final production.
- Agile: Ability to break down problems and identify ways design can make things better is key. Breaking down complex ideas and experimenting with quick and easy-to-execute designs and solutions. You should also be able test and improve on your designs.
- Passionate: You believe in the power of great design to solve a host of problems in business, society, culture and life in general. You have a point of view on life and a perspective on the disciplines of architecture, design, branding and visual/fine arts.
- Detail-Oriented: You know your way around balancing pixels, ratios and the dimensions of your work. You can constructively critique a design and have an ‘eye’ for spotting inconsistencies and proposing solutions.
- Communicative: You will have solid intrapersonal and interpersonal communication skills. Designers in 2018 are required to give and receive feedback. Stand up for their work. Share rationales and express the genesis of their ideas. With clients and teammates, you will know how to communicate early and often. Where possible you anticipate hitches, delays or setbacks. You can show a work-in-progress and proactively seek and receive feedback as you build and deliver your work on time.
- Bonus: Project management skills and experience communicating directly with clients will be an added advantage.
- Experience as a freelance designer/creative, or at a creative (brand, marketing, communications) agency creating and delivering ideas and artwork on a daily basis.
- Familiarity with frameworks and exercises that allow you and a client to define the visual and creative direction. You are versatile and can create, critique or improve designs. You can deliver multiple design artifacts along the way: from mood boards to style frames to storyboards.
- Experience in all design areas from print and editorial design, digital design and graphic design. Motion design would be an added advantage.
- Fluency with various creative tools e.g. Sketch, Invision, Adobe Creative Suite, among others.
- Knowledge and good intuition about the internet and how to create design, user experience and experiences for the web and mobile.
- Know-how of using online web-based creative tools and platforms for a shared workflow.
- A relentless desire to define, refine and deliver creative concepts that travel across different touchpoints — web, mobile, social and ephemeral media spaces and evaluate them in the real world with real customers.
- Great observation skills.
- The ability to take your content's performance across channels and review the analytics to interrogate it and come up with reports, recommendations, ideas and experiments.
- Great self-discipline, inter and intra-personal skills.
- Experience with multiple aspects of the design life cycle from concept to execution, reporting and review will be a plus.
- The ‘visual labour’ of creating tangibility for Nendo & client through storytelling and rapid prototyping methods (ranging from paper sketching to digital prototyping).
- Quality assurance to ensure consistency in the end-product of the design assets.
- A Google Slides deck of a 3-year roadmap or a Google Doc template for a client deliverable. Aiding the rest of the team by setting in place design standards that translate through documents, presentations and more.
- Management of files and assets to allow for better teamwork and workflow between Nendo clients, nomads and natives.
- Data visualisation from numbers, statistics and information.
- Creation of light-weight style guides and brand guidelines for our implementation partners.
- Work closely with our Technical Nomad and developers to ensure design specifications are implemented.
- Frequent sharing of resources, case studies, mood boards and inspiring examples to benchmark and inform/inspire clients and colleagues.
- Creation, testing and deployment various content templates, styles and designs in Facebook Creative Hub.
- You’ll be ready to export multiple versions and adaptation of the same visual creative idea for testing using Facebook Ads (welcome to the world of data-driven design).
- Experiment with us on different creative directions and formats to get best results from organic media on social channels.
- Shift from sketches on paper to a mockup of a landing page within a quick timeframe.
- Experiment with video and motion graphics to turn static design assets into moving images (e.g. GIFS) and videos.
- Design-thinking exercises with the team and clients to help us create concepts rooted in users and audience insights
- Development of digital brand and identity strategy.
- Adapt and improve content calendars and publishing plans - informed data analysis.
- Easily understand project aspects and technical information to create clear, easy to understand visual messages or stories.
- Experiments with new digital media (Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, 360-degree videos and images, GIFS, Timelapses, etc).
- Consult with staff on conceptual layouts for a wide range of graphic materials.
- Planning, visualising and create marketing materials based on client needs with guidance from team members in digital strategy and copywriting.
Up for the challenge?
Fill out our recruitment survey – here - so we can get to know you, your skills and experience better. Even if you don't have all the experience listed, if you're an infinite learner you have the chance to make this position, your growth and career into your own.
Nendo is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.